The Union Hotel from the Exeter Newsletter
MILITARY REUNION.—– For a considerable time the ex-members of Co. “D,” Third N. H., Volunteers, have contemplated holding a reunion, and the affair came off on Saturday, 22d inst., at the Union House, Hampton, in which town a large number of the original members of the company belonged.
The exercises were of a general character, this being the first occasion of the kind. The most important proceeding was the adoption of measures having for their object the carrying out of a favorite project of many prominent ex-members of the Third Regiment, viz: a Regimental Reunion, in furtherance of which object the following resolutions were introduced and unanimously adopted:
Whereas, it is apparent that a regimental reunion would meet the approval of a large number of the ex-members of the Third N. N. Vols., therefore
Resolved, That a committee of arrangements consisting of one ex-officer of each company, be selected by the Secretary of this meeting.
Resolved, That a meeting of the committee be held in Manchester on the last Saturday in April, 1871, to select a location and perfect arrangements for a regimental reunion during that year.
Resolved, That General John Bedel, the original Major of the Third, (in which capacity he endeared himself to every member of the regiment by his uniform kindness and courtesy in camp, and commanded their respect by his unflinching bravery in times of danger), be invited to deliver an address at the regimental reunion, and that he be requested to communicate with, and invite to be present, the ex-members of the field and staff of the regiment.
Resolved, That each member of the committee be notified of his appointment by the Secretary of this meeting, and furnished with a copy of these resolutions.
JOHN M. MALLON, Secretary.
The company enjoyed one of those dinners for which the Union House is so famous, spent an hour or two in social converse and “fighting their battles o’er again,” and departed for their homes well pleased with the Co. “D” reunion, and confident of meeting some hundreds of their comrades at the regimental gathering, next year.
December 2, 1870
FOUND.—- Says the Portsmouth Times—-Messrs. Smith and Whittier of the Union House at Hampton, have been making great improvements in the stables connected with their hotel, and while moving a large grain box a few days since the workmen found a valuable gold watch and chain, which had evidently been hurriedly thrown underneath the box. Messrs. S. & W. immediately recognized it as the property of Judge Morrill of Austin, Texas, who, with his family, occupied rooms at the house last summer. The watch and chain, which are valued at about $200, were stolen from their rooms, while they were out playing croquet one day in August. Mrs. Morrill missed the valuables and there was such a lively hunt made for them that the thief probably put his plunder out of sight in all possible haste, and never dared try to recover. The proprietors are well satisfied that they know who he is.
[Note: Amos Morrill (August 25, 1809 – March 5, 1884) was a United States federal judge.Born in Salisbury, Massachusetts, Morrill graduated from Bowdoin College in 1834 and read law to enter the Bar in 1836. He was in private practice in Murfreesboro, Tennessee from 1836 to 1839, in Clarksville, Texas from 1839 to 1856, and in Austin, Texas from 1856 to 1868. On June 9, 1847, Amos Morrill purchased the property The Grove (Jefferson, Texas) and built a log cabin there, which he used during his time in Jefferson. Morrill sold the property to Caleb Ragin and his wife Sarah on March 20, 1855. He was a Justice of the Texas Supreme Court from 1868 to 1870, returning to private practice in Austin, Texas from 1870 to 1872. On January 18, 1872, Morrill was nominated by President Ulysses Grant to a seat on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas vacated by Joel C. C. Winch. Morrill was confirmed by the United States Senate on February 5, 1872, and received his commission the same day. He served in that capacity until his retirement, on October 18, 1883. After his retirement, Morrill remained in private practice in Austin until he died there in 1884.]
February 20, 1880
Hampton, Feb. 17. —
A gentleman stopping at the hotel, a short time since, who was an extensive traveller and very sociable, soon got into an animated conversation with several present, whom he greatly interested from his accumulated stock of useful knowledge. Among other things, he stated that he had visited every town in the New England states. One of our citizens who always keeps an eye on the glass ware, and had intently and quietly listened, stepped forward, and said he : “Mr., were you ever in Pagetown?” This seemed to nonplus the gentleman amidst the roar of laughter which followed, and he spiritedly acknowledged that there must at least, be one town in the old Granite State that he hadn’t seen.
JUNE 4, 1880
Hampton, June 1. — Mr. O. H. Whittier, proprietor of the Union house has thoroughly renovated his stable, and is now finished in a neat and tasty manner with a view to convenience, health and comfort for horses.
It is light, airy, and perfectly ventilated, without causing a draft of air past the horses head, as is commonly the case in most stables. It is pronounced by competent judges to be the best stable in every particular between Portland and Boston.
His carriage wash-room has not excaped notice and is a model affair. In fact the house with all its connections has been put in excellent condition for the accommodation and comfort of summer boarders.
Considering the location, with the many advantages, its grassy lawns, and beautiful shade trees, with O. H. Whittier, Esq., its accomplished landlord and Mr. A. J. Batchelder its obliging clerk, we unhesitatingly claim it to be unsurpassed by any country hotel in the New England states.
June 25, 1880
Hampton, June 21. —
The beach travel has commenced in good earnest. All of the hotels at the beach have some guests. Things begin to have a lively appearance. Mr. Whittier, the popular proprietor of the Union hotel, has his usual number of guests. This is one of the best kept hotels, and one of the pleasantest situated in any town between Boston and Portland. Mr. Whittier is a man ever pleasing to all who come under his hospitality. He also has the very best of help, and everything is done up in apple pie order.
The private boarding houses will soon have their complement, every room being engaged. Mr. John J. Leavitt has made improvements, and the residence of E. J. Hobbs has been improved. Here the popular boarding mistress, Mrs. E. S. Leavitt, makes everyone feel at home.
AUGUST 20, 1880
Hampton, August 17. —
Mr. O. H. Whittier, proprietor of the Union House, gave his numerous guests a rare treat in way of a delicious clam bake on Saturday afternoon last, on the lawn adjoining the house.
In the evening the house was made resplendent by over two hundred Chinese lanterns suspended around the broad piazzas and triangularly across the street. Brilliant fireworks were displayed during the evening, while the jovial crowd danced to the splendid music of Edney’s quadrille band.
Interspersed was singing by several of the lady guests. Mr. Whittier has had a full house for nearly two months and has turned away a large number whom he was unable to accommodate.